Ren'Py Preload image... why?

AllNatural939

I am the bad guy?
Game Developer
Apr 3, 2024
Hi...
I've seen a lot of games made in RenPy that preload images. My computer is a crap and there are some preloads that have taken up to 30 seconds...
Now that I'm making my own game (again, with a really low-end computer) I've realized that it's not even necessary. At least I think so...
I'm making a decent animation right now, 30 FPS... The rendering is still incomplete but I've put the images I already have directly into RenPy, no video making and no preloading, and everything flows perfectly...
I don't understand. Why do you preload?
The animation images aren't even extremely light, they're normal JPGs of about 440 to 450 kb each...

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Hi...
I've seen a lot of games made in RenPy that preload images. My computer is a crap and there are some preloads that have taken up to 30 seconds...
Now that I'm making my own game (again, with a really low-end computer) I've realized that it's not even necessary. At least I think so...
I'm making a decent animation right now, 30 FPS... The rendering is still incomplete but I've put the images I already have directly into RenPy, no video making and no preloading, and everything flows perfectly...
I don't understand. Why do you preload?
The animation images aren't even extremely light, they're normal JPGs of about 440 to 450 kb each...
It's usually needed when you have large resources (4k images, or even 8k). That being said, "jpgs" and "animation" in the same sentence scares me. Why can't you do webm like normal people