Daz [SOLVED] Depth map merger. Is there something like that already?

Mar 16, 2018
Hey, I wanted to present an idea of mine to you today. I'm sure many of you have thought of it before. Wouldn't it be cool if you could render the figures individually. But there was always this occlusion error. I experimented with it and there was always an edge error. If you use the depth map too. No matter what foreground and background you selected first, the error always occurred. But then I noticed that if I created the difference between the two combined output images again, the error could be fixed. Now I wanted to ask you if anyone knows of a tool like this, have you had any experience with something like this before.

I combined the images with my own tool, i.e. 2 color images and 2 depth maps.

Edit: Status update. I found out Gimp has such a deep map merger buildin but the edge problem is there too GimpOutput.png

Last edited:

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
I'm honestly not sure what the real use of canvasses are. Maybe it's because I have never really used them but I find doing most of this stuff in post (Photoshop) easier and faster than trying to play with DAZ's settings to accomplish the same things.

I've done literally thousands of renders of characters without any backgrounds and except for some very faint anti-aliasing issues when the lighting is harsh, I never have any issues with the character edges.

I'm curious what benefits there are to using canvases? The tutorials I have seen in the past seem to just highlight the ability to basically layer your renders in DAZ, create a sort of HDR and/or group objects. All of that stuff is easier (IMO) to do with a good editor like PS.

Mar 16, 2018
Users can change depth of field or exposure with canvasses and much more. I don't normally use canvases either. The person in the link says they noticed the bug since version 4.20. I'm experimenting with it to add people to the background. Even with a great graphics card it would just take too long for me to do a scene with 20 characters, for example. And please don't tell me to use billboards.

Reactions: Turning Tricks

AllNatural939

I am the bad guy?
Game Developer
Apr 3, 2024
I have no idea what your problem was, but it seems quite strange to me... I've been doing this for several months without any problems whatsoever...

d1_795_tres.jpg

d1_758_capa1.png d1_795_capa1.png d1_795_capa2.png d1_795_capa3.png

Mar 16, 2018

AllNatural939

I am the bad guy?
Game Developer
Apr 3, 2024
Your example is so simple that you don't need a depth map. View attachment 3994975 Look at my example more closely, the arm is behind and in front of the woman
Yep, I saw that, and you don't need anything special either. You have 2 options, render the arm that goes behind separately or use Spot Render (it's part of DAZ itself) and render only that part of the image and then put the layer behind the other layer with the woman... In fact it's so simple that you don't need any special tool to turn all the images into one. You can even do it with the Windows 10 photo editor... I know because I've done it.

Mar 16, 2018
Yep, I saw that, and you don't need anything special either. You have 2 options, render the arm that goes behind separately or use Spot Render (it's part of DAZ itself) and render only that part of the image and then put the layer behind the other layer with the woman... In fact it's so simple that you don't need any special tool to turn all the images into one. You can even do it with the Windows 10 photo editor... I know because I've done it.
I'm not an animal. With a dozen figures, I have to pay attention to what comes first and make this and that invisible. I do it very simply, I have a tool that does it for me and sorts and combines everything with the depth maps. press one button :cool:

AllNatural939

I am the bad guy?
Game Developer
Apr 3, 2024
I'm not an animal. With a dozen figures, I have to pay attention to what comes first and make this and that invisible. I do it very simply, I have a tool that does it for me and sorts and combines everything with the depth maps. press one button :cool:
Oh? So a person who tries to give you a different, disinterested point of view and who naively believed that it could be useful, is an "animal"?

Ok, good to know, bye.

Por tu nombre deberias poder entenderme. TODOS somos animales.

Mar 16, 2018
@AllNatural939
So the thread was already marked as solved.
Then you come up with a bad solution that has nothing to do with the depth map.
When I pointed out that your solution doesn't solve the occlusion/overlay problem, you come up with the spot render nonsense (workhorse). So if someone encounters a problem like this with noise in the depth map, they can read the link above and use Gimp to do it automatically. Of course, you can also use the solution method from AllNatural939, which will be a lot of fun with animations or lots of figures. If anyone is more interested in the topic, I'm working on a complete solution as a plugin for DAZ link